Welcome!

Erianne is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is serving in the Texas Houston South mission from Feb 1, 2012-August 2013.

Mission Address: Sister Erianne Avery
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77478

Monday, April 9, 2012

Allison!!! My little baby sister is growing up! What are you doing for your big day? Don't wreck my car if you start driving it. ;) haha HAVE THE BEST BIRTHDAY!

I hope y'all got my cards this week. I tried to send them off early enough in the week so they would make it there on time. Thank you sooo much for the easter package! I love all that was in it... the "good and the bad" and I shared the popcorn with Erica and Ty! :) THANK YOU! I ended up getting it on saturday and it was funny (kinda) cause me and sister atterton were sooo sick that day so we were home and the package came with all the treats that we wanted to eat but our stomachs couldn't handle. haha We think we got food poisoning the night before from having fish and chips with a member family that is from England... :/ It was not good! . But we had to be better by that night to go out to some appointments. It's not fun being sick in the mission field cause you can't take much time off... But we are better now!

Mom, thanks for all the updates! It's good hearing about people back home.

Dad, you asked if we get many people that request book of mormons or DVD's and we do get about 1-2 Church headquarter referals a week that people request items. So we take those by and try to visit with them. It is CRAZY how much people are starting to have questions about our church because of Mitt Romney. They ask us if we are here to recruit for him but we tell them we don't even know what is going on with that. A lot of people will say they aren't interested in what we have to say but that they are voting for Mitt. Haha

About my health, Mom, I know you are going to worry but don't :) ... I have been Ok for the most part. Don't worry too much about me, but President pulled me in for an interview last week to check in on me cause Sister Atterton told him kinda what's been going on. I'm calling the mission doctor today to go see him. I've just been really lightheaded every time I stand up, headaches throughout the week, and really low energy almost to the point that I feel like I have weights on every part of my body. I think it's really just the stress that us missionaries go through. I'll let you know what the doctor says but until then don't worry too much.

Highlights of my week:

Rachel is an investigator we have been teaching since I got here. Her fiance is a inactive member and she has a son. We gave them a church tour on Saturday with the bishop and talked about them setting a wedding date so that she can get baptized because they live together. They seemed really excited about it and we are looking forward to helping them out with that so Rachel can get baptized!! Well Rachel grew up Baptist and so yesterday in church when they announced a little 8 year old who had been baptized she stood up and started clapping hahaha It was sooo funny! But then her fiancé pulled her down and said we don't clap. Good times!

On Saturday night we met with this guy named Byron who we met out contacting people on the street. We went to the CVS pharmacy to get medicine when we were both sick and he happened to be there. He told us what he knew about the church (which was a lot!) He talked to us about Moroni and Joseph Smith. He wanted us to come by and bring him a Book of Mormon. So we went over to his house and he was sooo open with us. He told us he is catholic but he doesn't believe lots of what the Catholics do. As we were sitting there talking with us I realized that God really does prepare people for us to teach, because all that he was explaining to us of his thoughts on life, were in line with the gospel. We gave him a Book of Mormon and we were just going to ask him to read the introduction but as we gave it to him he said, "Ok I'll read this whole book and pray about it." Wow! So we are hoping that we can get back in and share more with him.

We also met this other girl last Monday named Kayley. We met her while we were out contacting too and she had soo many questions. She was very open to what we had to say and she had heard lots of rumors about our church which were completely not true but she wanted to find out for herself. Those are the people we like to visit with! We are going back this week to visit with her again. She needs to gospel in her life at this time, and she realizes she needs a change. I told her that I knew we came into her life at a time God knew she was ready.

The last is the greatest of the week! So remember that family that I've told you about that is very inactive because of sports on Sundays? Well after everything fell through yesterday for us--literally-- we decided to go stop by there house to visit with them and share an eater message. We gathered together with their whole family and we read 3 Nephi 11 about Christ coming to the America's. We talked about the influence Jesus Christ has on our lives and we got their only active daughter, Bailey, to share her testimony with her family. She was in tears and we could feel her pain of knowing that her family was on the wrong path. I asked the other 3 kids what role Jesus Christ has in their lives and as each one of them shared their testimonies they cried. The spirit was soo strong and the mom (who told us last time she doesn't handle tears and people who cry) was crying herself. We left that house in awe. Although all our plans for the day had fallen through God knew we were to be in that house with them to help them feel the spirit and know that Jesus Christ lives. Bailey texted us after we left and told us THANK YOU! I knew they felt the spirit. Now we just have to go back and get them to realize what they need to do... come back to church.

Anyways, I have sooo much more to share with you but I'm out of time again. :( I wish I had hours.

Please be safe and enjoy Spring break!!!

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment