September 17, 2012
Cockroaches and Jehovah Witnesses make studies fun!
How's my family?! I'm so glad we
could write back and forth for a bit. That was fun! :) It sounds like everyone
is doing great. Last night we were at dinner with a family in our ward, and
they have a 5 year old girl who is a month younger than Dylan and 2 months
younger than Jaylee and I couldn't believe how big she was! It makes me anxious
to see how much my nieces and nephews have grown! 3 more months till I'll see
y'all on skype again. :)
By the way How is Jen doing with her
pregnancy? When is she due in November?
I'm doing good! We got transfer
calls this morning and luckily I'm still staying here in Maplewood. Sister
Moreno and I will be staying together! So that means another transfer to learn
Spanish. :) It's kinda nice not getting changed for once. :) We had so many
members tell us on Sunday they will be so sad if one of us leaves, so we can't
wait to tell them we'll both be staying. I've gotten really close to the ward
members here. It's going to be really hard when I have to leave this area. But
for now I'll live it up!
Not much happened this week since we
were in for most of the week being sick, but I have a few funny stories...
One morning while we were sitting at
our desk studying I see out of the corner of my eye a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, Cockroach
coming towards me. So I jump up and start moving away from my desk screaming.
Sister Moreno is like, "Sister Avery what happened?!?" I am now
standing on a chair across the room holding my scriptures and pointing at the
wall where the cockroach is." She grabs the broom and starts whacking, but
that little booger wouldn't give in. It was super fast! Picture this, I'm
standing on the table chair screaming and my comp is jumping around our living
room tearing apart everything to try to get to the roach. Finall I get my
tennis shoe out and she whacked it to death. But man, nothing drives the spirit
away faster than a 3 in roach! It was gross, but looking back now I can't help
but laugh. If someone were to look in our window and see that they'd think we
were crazy.
The next morning we are in the
middle of our language studies when we get a knock on our door (we never have a
knock on our door because no one knows where we live.) Surprise! It was the
Jehovah Witnesses. There was a women and then an 8 year old boy with her. She
said, "Hi we are coming out to help people understand the bible
better." Then she looks down at my name tag as I say,"I was actually
just studying the Bible!" She then said, "I don't speak english"
and started walking away.... haha. So I say, "wait! my companion speaks
spanish!" So Sister Moreno comes out and the lady looked like... oh great
what did I get myself into? We ended up teaching the whole restoration lesson and
getting her to pray at the end! She was so hesitant to pray (i think because
she knew what we were trying to do) but we kept saying, if you are out to teach
about Christ shouldn't we pray to him? So she looked around to make sure no one
was looking and said a quick prayer. One thing that made me really sad while
they were standing there is we gave them a restoration pamphlet and she
wouldn't let the little boy read it. He wanted to, but she kept taking it away
from him. It's sad, but I hope they come back again!
As for the people we've been working
with...
Billy and his mom came to church
again yesterday! But the bummer thing is that Brother Vermilyea didn't.... and
he called Bishop to reschedule his interview with him. It's so sad! Because I
know that Billy is ready, his mom is ready for him, but Brother Vermilyea isn't
taking the steps he needs to for his family to get more blessings in life.
I wish I could just tell him flat out, "you know this is your sons
salvation at hand!" We are going to have to start being more bold with
him...
I'll keep y'all updated on their
progress. Please keep them in your prayers.
We have been working with 5
different less actives in the ward and all 5 of them came to church this
sunday! We were so excited to see them there. It's good to see how they
recognize the difference in their lives when they come to church. Matt Delaney
is a less active who we met last week. He hasn't been active since he was
14 and now he is 40. We visited with him 2 times this past week, he remembers
lots, and he is very open to come back! It was great to see him there
yesterday. :)
I'm so grateful to be a missionary.
I have so much to work on to be the missionary that Christ needs me to be, but
I'm glad I've still got time for that! :) Please keep the people here in
Houston in your prayers.
I love y'all so much!!
Erianne
No comments:
Post a Comment