Welcome!

Erianne is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is serving in the Texas Houston South mission from Feb 1, 2012-August 2013.

Mission Address: Sister Erianne Avery
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77478

Monday, March 18, 2013

Spring break, summer tans, and bike rides!

Hello my family! It sounds like it may be warming up there in Utah? That's nice! This past week it's been high 70's and we're getting our sun tan on. We even took our bikes out last week and that was really fun cause I haven't biked in a while. :) Everyone here was on spring break last week so there were lots of people (kids especially) outside. Now everyone is back in school. When is y'alls spring break? Any fun plans?

This week was another great week here in Mission Bend! I really really like this area and this ward. Our area is kinda small so we don't have lots of the ward members in our area so they aren't happy about that. We overheard lots of ladies in relief society yesterday saying, "that really stinks we can't have the sisters over cause the elders never come check on us." haha It made me laugh. That is the fun thing about opening a new area where sisters haven't been in a while because then they really are grateful for us.

We are seeing so many miracles from the Lord! We are working with a Recent converts cousin, Greg, who is here visiting and he really wants to be baptized. He came to a baptism a few weeks ago and ever since he felt the spirit there he wants it himself and he wants to go share the gospel with his family when he goes back to California. His cousin wants to see his baptism cause she has no family near here and she is dying with cancer right now. We brought this situation up in ward council yesterday because he doesn't live here (yet... he is moving here in October) and so the dilemma is whether we should keep teaching him and just have him go get baptized in San Diego when he gets home, or to baptize him here so his cousin can see before she passes away. The bishop is very trusting of us and wants us to follow the Spirit, but several of the members mentioned that missionaries just like to baptize to get numbers. I hate that because I absolutely hate numbers! It's not about how many people I baptize or how many lessons we teach each weeks. We had a zone conference on teaching for eternal life not just for baptisms. That is one thing I've been trying to change as I teach is not just preparing someone to enter into the waters of baptism and make those promises with the Lord, but also helping them to realize the significance of the promises and what they mean for eternity. We gave Greg a pretty intense lesson on Saturday with one of the senior missionaries and I think he now realizes what changes he will be making in his life. We took his cigarretts and threw them out after our lesson! He promised to live the word of wisdom. :) He also came with us last night to the investigator devotional which he loved. Pray for him, and for us so we can discern his needs.

We are also preparing for Laurens baptism this saturday! She is the young women who is 17 and a twin. She went to youth conference last week and LOVED IT! She came back knowing a whole lot more and her testimony was strengthened so much. It made me so grateful for the youth programs I had growing up and for the strength they give us. Lauren is awesome! She definetely has had a hard life, and her twin isn't really supporting her decision to be baptized but she is still one of the most excited people I've seen to be baptized! I can't wait for her. :)

Both Greg and Lauren are member referrals! It's been so cool to see the difference the referrals make in our work. This has been one of my many weaknesses on my mission (asking for referrals). But this transfer we made it a goal as a companionship to get 50 referrals in March! That is about 43-45 more than I've ever got in a month, so it's a big leap of faith but we've been seeing miracles. We are at 25 now so we've got to keep going for 2 more weeks.

This week we visited with a former investigator from a few years ago and she is really struggling. She told us how much she is praying to the Lord for answers and for help and direction, but she wouldn't accept the answer the Lord is giving to her when we explained how the Book of Mormon could help her in all her concerns. It's so sad to see how people will be praying for help and not grab the rope the Lord is handing to them. I hope they realize it sooner than later.

Bad news for the week..... I got a letter that I really didn't want. We checked the mail Saturday afternoon and I got my flight info. I am so mad! I started crying haha and Sister Hinton was wondering what was the matter with me (cause they are both still a little homesick, so home sounds good to them). I didn't think that letter would ever come, but I'm grateful for what President wrote in it to me. He said, "what do I want to accomplish for the Lord while I still am on His errand for a few more months? I have lots I want/need to do.

Sister Howard went on exchanges with some sisters in Alief this past week and she came back grateful to be in the area and to be working with Sister Hinton and I. I guess those sisters didn't work to hard. It makes me sad to see people wasting the Lords time like that, but I'm grateful I've been blessed with hardworking companions and not with Sisters who just want to sit around. Sister Hinton and Howard are awesome! I am learning so much from them.

I'm so grateful to be a missionary! It's the best thing ever to see these people coming to church and changing their lives to be closer to God.

I love y'all so much! I'm praying for you!

Sister Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment