Welcome!

Erianne is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is serving in the Texas Houston South mission from Feb 1, 2012-August 2013.

Mission Address: Sister Erianne Avery
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77478

Monday, April 22, 2013

Ping Pong Ball!?




It sounds like everyone back home is doing well! I am always excited to hear how everything and everyone is doing on Mondays. :) Mom, I'm so proud of you to be building all of that stuff. I tell people down here all the time that I hope I can be like you because you never stop learning. I really like that!

You are probably wondering why my heading is "ping pong ball"..... Well that is because that is what I was this week. I felt homeless cause I was all over the place. haha The housing missionary, Elder Nilsen (who is like family we are so close), even bought me my own blow up mattress and sleeping bag so I have somewhere to sleep while I'm on exchanges. Ah I have so much to talk about and so many stories, but I'm really bad about typing them all out so some will have to wait but I'll see what I can write today.

Monday I got to start out here in Mission Bend and we did a family night with a less active mother and two of her kids. We did it on building our foundation on Christ, and it was really interesting because their house is very old and it hasn't been in good shape, but the past year they have been fixing it up and working on the foundation to get it solid so they are safe. We talked about how it takes time to build that foundation but over time it will become solidified so they don't have to worry about the effects of building our homes or our testimonies on the sand. We were expecting them at church yesterday and even got a text from her that morning but they never showed up. We are going to keep working with them!

Tuesday we had our district meeting and then I went to Alief with Sister Howard and Sister Cordova. They are starting to feel a little more comfortable in their area and I think they are starting to get the hang of things better, but President still wants me to spend time there as much as I can. We found 3 new investigators while I was there and were able to extend some baptismal dates! I hope that helped them get excited and feel like there is work to do.
 It's been a little bit hard because Sister Howard has a very strong personality and wants to be independent so I don't think she wants me there. She even mentioned on the phone last night that she didn't know how much help I was being there and she said she would just call when she needs me.... I feel bad because I feel like I'm giving my all to help them out the best that I can, but she doesn't seem to recognize it. In studies today I was thinking about how Christ must feel that every day from lots of us. We feel like we can do it on our own, but when something bad happens we call for help. It made me realize that I shouldn't just be calling for help when I'm having a hard time, but at all times! Even in the best of days.
While I was there in Alief we had our interviews with President and for some reason after interviews I was just having a hard time feeling very overwhelmed with everything, Elder Nilsen came to inspect their apartment and while there he gave them a talk about cleanliness and how the Spirit only dwells in clean places and then he talked to us about how special we are to our Father in Heaven and how he wants the Spirit to be with us so we can feel of His love. I needed that. It's cool how the Lord sends answers to prayers through those around us.

Wednesday night late I went back to Mission Bend and then Thursday morning I left to go on an exchange with the Maplewood sisters. The zone leaders asked if I could go help them because they aren't finding any new investigators and they aren't talking to anyone. I went there super worried because I feel like so much work had been done there last year and I didn't want to find that area dead. One of the sisters that just got transferred there is one of the disobedient ones that we've been trying to work with and so I think I went in with the wrong mindset to change things there, but I left realizing that the best way to help people change isn't to tell them what they are doing wrong, but instead to show them (or try to show them) the way we should be doing things. She responded in a better way than if I were to just go in there and tell her what's up.

Oh man being back in Maplewood was a rollercoaster. The first thing I hear is that Daniel got drunk the night before and fell and he wasn't doing well. The weird thing was that I got a letter from him on monday and he said that he had fallen into his alcohol a few weeks ago and then realized what he was doing and so while he was watching conference he realized the impact of the Atonement. So when I heard that he drunk  again I was so mad! I knew the Erianne in me would go in there and be like, "Daniel, WHAT THE HECK!!!!" But I knew that the Spirit definitely had to guide us through that visit. I've changed a lot on my mission.... I'm usually the most talkative one in the lessons, but for some reason I mostly just sat there and listened. We read the scriptures and talked about how Alma applied the atonement even after he was one of the vilest of sinners, and then felt the overwhelming joy that Christ offers us. Daniel just cried. He kept saying over and over, "How could God take someone back into His arms like me?" I realize how deep the Atonement of our Savior is, but it really took on a different meaning for me that night. It's hard to see people suffer through that and other things, but I'm so grateful to see the Atonement take effect in peoples lives here.
 At the end of the visit I had him sign a "contract" that he would do his best to apply the Atonement in His life each day through his prayers. We saw him last night at an investigator devotional and he seems to be doing much better.

We also got to see Noo while I was there and it was fun because she didn't know I was coming, and I hid behind the sisters when we came in so after a minute of her talking with them I popped out and she was SO excited! It made my day. :) Noo is preparing to go through the temple in July! I'm so excited for her. She is doing great!!!

This is the best part of missionary work is seeing people progress and learn more about the gospel to the point that you can see the light in their faces!

I'm glad I was able to go to Maplewood and help out there. So much is happening! They saw me yesterday and told me they went out contacting and felt a lot more comfortable. :) I hope it helped them.

Friday night I came back to Mission Bend and Saturday morning Ashley got Baptized!!!! She was glowing she was so excited. The young womens president spoke at her baptism and talked about how each of us are so different and lots of people wondered why she didn't get baptized with her twin, but then she told us that the Spirit teaches us according to our understanding. Each of us have different life experiences so we can learn in the way Heavenly Father knows is best. Ashley and Laurens grandparents came to the baptism and they told us they felt the Holy Ghost there so strong. The Young Women even sang and I could see her grandma tearing up. We are hopefully going to start teaching them. :)

After the baptism we met with Jessica and Anthony Velazquez! They are the family that came to church last week that are AWESOME! I love their family so much. Seriously, every single time I come out of their home I feel so happy and I know they will be baptized but it's a matter of when the Lord feels is best. I can't wait to see them sealed in the temple.
When we walked into their home I felt different, it felt brighter there, and later in the lesson they told us they have been reading the Book of Mormon! She read all the way to 1 Nephi 8 since Wednesday. :) Her husband Anthony is someone who studies all religions and reads lot and lots of religious books, but he told us she has never picked one up the whole 10 years of their married life until now. We brought them a kids Book of Mormon for their girls and they were really excited about it. Yesterday they came to church!!!!! As a whole family. :) Jessica was a little hesitant about sending her kids to primary, and her youngest to nursery but she let them go. About half way through sunday school they nursery leader came in with Emma who was screaming. She was pretty sad so they went out into the foyer and then decided to go home to get her food. The two older girls stayed and came home with their neighbor. I hope they liked church! We are going to see them on Tuesday so I'll let you know next week but please keep them in your prayers. Anthony is very smart and he told us this week, "The Book of Mormon is the most correct of all the books I've read and it lines up spiritually, but academically I don't agree with some things." AGH! Academically doesn't matter!!!! So please pray that his heart will soften.

Last night, like I said before, was the investigator devotional. A member in our ward invited her neighbor, Angela, who we haven't taught yet but she wants us to teach her this week! She really liked it. The Lord is preparing peoples hearts!

I am so grateful to be a missionary. It's been hard, but Salvation isn't easy and it was never easy for our Savior. I'm grateful to know He is there at all times.

I love y'all!

Sister Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment