Welcome!

Erianne is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is serving in the Texas Houston South mission from Feb 1, 2012-August 2013.

Mission Address: Sister Erianne Avery
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77478

Monday, May 6, 2013

I cannot believe it's already MAY!!! Where is the time going?! I'm getting more and more nervous cause the weeks seem to be going by days and the months like weeks.
But It sounds like everyone back home is doing great! I can't wait to chat with y'all this Sunday! We've had a countdown on our whiteboards in our apartments for about 2 months now. Happy early mothers day mom!!!!

This week has had lots of ups and downs. Most of the downs are just from stress. I'm trying to learn not to stress so much but THIS IS PEOPLES SALVATION! It's hard not to stress over that. But the Lord is really teaching me to put more things in His hands and not worry. Because honestly if we are doing all we can, He will do the rest and always help things to turn out the best way. I feel like I've been in the refiners fire a bit this week. On Tuesday we had a mission leadership meeting and it was the 2nd one with the new callings with the Sisters in the mission. I think it just overwhelmed me a bit because our mission is now focusing on baptizing weekly instead of monthly. Last year in October President Ashton asked us to raise our Faith and pray to baptize monthly, and so I had been praying so hard to accomplish that, and the Lord has helped me through each month! The Lord is now asking more of us, and with the goal of 1,000 baptisms this year President is asking us to again raise our Faith, by instead praying for Exceeding Faith to find and baptize weekly. I know it's from Heavenly Father, but just when I thought I was going to die from not being able to work any harder this test of Faith comes in. :) haha He told me I was not only in charge of Mission Bend baptizing weekly, but also the other areas in my zone and especially Alief where I should be spending 50% of my time.
I want to be able to do the best I can, but I feel I'm lacking so much. I want to be here in Mission Bend because SO much good is happening here, but President has asked that I spend more time in Alief cause they are still trying to pick up the area (but they did have a baptism last weekend!!! The first in several months for that ward. ) I was so proud of the sisters there! I think I'm just very protective of the people we are working with here in Mission Bend especially the Velazquez family, and I want to be there every time we teach them. But the Lord is teaching me that He can do all things.... even without me! I had to humble myself this week and turn the area over to Sister Hinton and Petersen. I trust them cause they are great sisters. I just need to keep exercising my faith in the Lord and in His power.
The day after the leadership meeting Sister Ker (the spanish sister trainer leader) and I met with President to do a study with him. We studied Exceeding Faith. I'll have to tell you all about it later, but here are a few references we studied....
Moroni 10:8,11
Alma 13:3
Alma 19:7-10
2 Nephi 3:24
3 Nephi 19:18-22
Jacob 3:1
Moshiah 26:13-16
Alma 60:25-26
Ether 3:9
Ether 2:14-15
D&c 46:8
John 7:16-17
Alma 32:28-29
You'll have to do a study on Exceeding Faith! It's a cool topic and It helps to strengthen our Faith as we study it. I think the biggest thing I learned is that Faith is a choice and it comes through practice, study, and prayer. Exceeding Faith is required for our Salvation and I really believe that is why God is expecting us young missionaries to start increasing our Faith for the last days.
On Wednesday we went to go try a less active that the Relief Society President asked us to go see and she wasnt there so we tried her neighbors to see if they knew if she still lived there. The girl that answered was about 17 years old and her name is Allona. She told us we could come back and bring her a Book of Mormon. We went back on Thursday and taught her the Restoration. After we extended her a baptismal date she accepted and said, "can I give you a affirmation of Faith?" We didn't really know what that was, but we told her yes. She told us that her mom is a youth minister at her church and they are really involved at her church but lately she had been praying to find her own way since her pastor is leaving this month. She wanted to know what church to join and we showed up at her door. She wants to read the Book of Mormon, and the cool thing is that she is friends with Lauren and Ashley Casey! We are meeting with her tonight, but it just made me so grateful to know that Heavenly Father is listening to each of our prayers. The answers come in ways we may never expect them to come.
On Saturday we invited the Velazquez to the Alief Sister's baptism, and they came! They were very interested in what was going on and Jessica kept asking me lots of questions about the Priesthood authority. When we went over there on Sunday after church (their 4 week in a row being at church!!!) we brought Brother Johnson, who is the seminary teacher, and he is the one who's family got in the terrible car accident last year. We taught about the Power of the Priesthood and eternal families. The lesson was so good and I think it really helped Anthony to know and understand what His role will be. Dad, I was able to bare testimony of how grateful I am for you baptizing me and playing a role in my salvation with that first covenant I made with Heavenly Father. I wanted to thank you for that! Anthony got emotional when he found out he would be able to baptize his daughters. :) Their family is doing so well! I can't wait to see their sealing.
Yesterday Anthony and Jessica even fasted! Who does that when you're not even a member yet?! I thought that was so cool. They fasted about their baptism and I thought it was a sign from Heavenly Father that sunday school was all about covenants!
This gospel changes lives. It is hard someday to see people not accept it, or to take advantage of it, but it's so worth it when you find someone like the Velazquez who have been so prepared for it in their life.
Thank you for all your love and support! I'm so grateful for the family and the way I was raised.

I love y'all!!!! Talk to you in 6 days. :)

Sister Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment