Welcome!

Erianne is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is serving in the Texas Houston South mission from Feb 1, 2012-August 2013.

Mission Address: Sister Erianne Avery
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77478

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October Already Ah!!!

Hello everyone!
 
It's great to hear about y'all back home. I know I say that every week but It's true! Sorry about not emailing yesterday.... we were moving ALL day. So yes, we are now in a better apartment complex that is gated, and it's also really nice (even though it's far from all our investigators) because most of the ward lives in this new area. :) We are about 15 minutes away from our other place... and I don't know the address yet, but I will get it to y'all soon. BUT FOR NOW SEND MAIL TO 602 ELDRIDGE ROAD SUGAR LAND, TX 77478. NOT TO 8901 BRASEMONT! I won't be able to get the mail from the old address anymore cause the church no longer owns that apartment.
 
Mom, I bet that is a lot of work with the primary program coming up! It'll be fun to have it on your birthday though! :) The ward is preparing for the primary program here too and we've been able to get some parts for some of our investigators who are primary age. :) It'll be good! What is your theme? Is there anything I can do to help? I know i'm a few states away, but I'd love to help in any way that I can.
Also, we were just at the dentist this morning for my companion and I was talking with the Dentist there who is a member. He told me I should keep thinking about Dental Hygeine... Now i'm super confused cause I could see myself doing that too haha But I just wanted to ask you what you thought it'd take to get into UVU's program? I'm applying for BYU on the 17th of this month so do you think I should apply for UVU while I'm at it? I'm stressed thinking about it, but I know I need to decide soon.
 
Dad, I hear work is stressful. I'm so sorry! I will keep you in my prayers. Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. The Lord has the best plan so if we just have faith and trust there's no need to worry (I need to learn that lesson too. ;))
 
So John L and Lorranie leave this week for Africa?! Tell them I said good luck! How long is their mission this time?
 
I've been doing good! This week was great with the work and we are continuing to see miracles. I will get to that in a minute...
 
So Billy Vermilyea is completely ready to be baptized. The only thing holding him back is the bishop, the home teacher, and us all wanted Brother Vermilyea to baptize him because we really feel like that would bring the WHOLE family back to church. So we had several appointments for Brother Vermilyea to meet with the Bishop over these past several weeks that he ended up canceling last minute because of the pressure.... AND everytime he said he would come to church he never came...It was getting really discouraging so we started thinking of other options, like having the home teacher baptize him since Brother Vermilyea wasn't quite ready yet. But early last week we get a phone call from President saying that the mission goal for baptisms for September was 60 so we were doing a mission wide fast to reach that goal by the weekend. We fasted, we got phone call after phone call from our zone leaders, and distric leader trying to push the baptism for last weekend. BUT Sister Moreno and I didn't feel like we should push it on the family like that. We went to talk with them and we asked Billy who he wanted to baptize him, and he said his dad. That was the answer we needed to hear. Friday night we get a call from Bishop around 10:00 saying he just got out of the vermilyeas home and he was able to meet with Brother Vermilyea and it went great!!!!! He told us how amazed at how far that family has progressed the last few months and he told us that Brother Vermilyea would be able to baptize Billy on the 13th IF he comes to church the next 2 weeks. So we told the zone leaders and district leader sorry but we felt it was more important for his dad to baptize him than to just get a number for the month. After our zone conference with Elder Ellis and the Relief Society meeting on saturday talking about Christ being able to move mountains if we exercise our faith in Him I knelt in prayer before church begging to let this "mountain" be moved so Brother Vermilyea would attend church and be able to baptize his son. As we sat in sacrament meeting we saw they weren't there, I felt like my faith wasn't sufficient, and wondering what I could have done more to get them there.... but right before the sacrament started their WHOLE Family came in the doors! I felt like Alma in the Book of Mormon when he explains his joy of bringing his bretheren to the Lord. Even thinking about it now I get teary eyed because THAT WAS A MIRACLE! Brother Vermilyea hasn't been to church in months, and we've tried over and over and over again to get him there. But it wasn't us that got him there, it was the Lord. I have seen miracles on my mission.... everyday, but I have to say that is probably one of the sweetest miracles to see a whole family come back to church together. :)
 
We also met a new investigator this week named Charles. He is from South Africa and is going through a rough time. We showed him the restoration DVD in his native language, and when it was finished he said he knows it is true! He came to church on sunday. :) He asked when he can be baptized. We are so excited for him as well, but we are turning him over to the elders to teach him because he is moving into their area... :( But he'll still be in our ward!
 
AND I told you about Kristen (the less active who called us last week to find out where the church was at) last week. We've been meeting with her and her son who also came to church and her son wants to be baptized. We talked with the primary president and bishop and they all think it'd be awesome if we could do Billy and Kye's baptism on the same day since they are close in age. We just hope we can get all the lessons done in that time, but he's been to church twice now and LOVES it!
 
I love this area! We have some great people that the Lord has prepared to recieve the gospel. Please keep them in your prayers! Especially as conference is coming up this weekend, we want all of our investigators there! What are y'all doing for conference? I'm going to miss your cinnamon rolls mom! Maybe I'll go buy some store bought ones ;) Wasn't the Relief Society meeting great? I loved how centered it was on Jesus Christ and His Atonement. That seemed like the theme this year. I can't wait to go with you next year mom!
 
On Friday last week we had Elder Ellis from the Quorum of the Seventy come talk to our mission. It was really good! He focused mostly on having the spirit with us at all times and constantly receiving and maintaining revelation from the Lord. I really liked his talk and Presidents, but the talks that were the answers to my prayers were their wives... Sister Ashton and Sister Ellis. They both focused on enjoying life and not letting one moment pass you by. Also, not stressing so much about being EXACTLY who God needs me to be every moment, but rather learn the principles along the way. I seem to stress so much about being exactly on time, being exatly obedient, being completely sober minded, and I forget that sometimes there are lessons that God is trying to teach me that I'm pushing aside. Like Charity and Love, being a better listener, having more Faith in Christs plan, and so much more. I told sister moreno I was sorry for being so stressed all of the time about being exact in everything, and she told me a scripture that I needed as well... Gal 5:22-23 The qualities of the Spirit dont include stress, impatience, headache, etc. AND THEN I got it reenforced one more time on Saturday night at the relief society conference where a sister in our ward was talking with us and she said she had served a mission. She told us that if she could go back and change on thing it would be the way she treated her companions and how she was too focused on being exactly perfect in everything. Christ knows we can't be perfect, but He knows when we are striving. I've got to work on this.... check up on me next week and see how I'm doing with it ok?
 
I love you all so much! I hope your missionary work is going good, I want to hear about your experiences!
 
Erianne :)

No comments:

Post a Comment